A friend of mine posted this yesterday, and it elicited some discussion, but mostly from the happily married ladies. My comment was the only one I saw which questioned the quote (not that it isn’t true, but on another level). My question was “This assumes that the act of falling in love is purely voluntary, though. Would that our hearts would listen to our heads.”
My friend believes that we do, indeed have control over who our heart falls in love with, while I have found that my heart is a finicky sort who doesn’t like being told what is and is not good for her.
I actually love it when something like this generates different points of view as it reminds me of how delightfully diverse we all can be!
Admittedly, I have never (at least not in this human lifetime) found someone who sees me this way, though, of course, I would be honored and blessed should someone like this find his way into my life! That isn’t to say that my heart hasn’t thought it loved a time or two, though, in retrospect, nobody who was truly worthy of that love, nor, also in retrospect, did I truly love any of them with the depth they, too, deserved.
I realize that a lot of that is on me, as I have at various times and for various reasons, put up huge walls preventing even the toughest of knights from breaching my portcullis. But for many of those years, it really was a good thing, as I hadn’t really learned to be true to myself first. In fact, it took me a lot more years than most, a failed marriage, raising two children to adulthood and the deaths of my parents to really push me forward into being this kind of good to myself, first.
The real reason I’ve reposted this is because I’d love to hear from you, my readers about the subject of love. Can we truly tell our hearts who to love, or are we subject to its whims, desires, and illogical behavior?
My gratitudes tonight are:
1. I am grateful for friends who give me stuff to write about.
2. I am grateful for the calmer climate I’m experiencing right now, which gives me the opportunity to allow and grow.
3. I am grateful for a busy, productive day which saw me getting my workout in and my errands run.
4. I am grateful for my continuing faith in my own talents and abilities, and the Universe to aid and abet me as I work towards my goals and dreams.
5. I am grateful for the abundant life I lead, in every aspect.
Love and light.